In a major development in the renewable energy sector, Grupo Daniel Alonso and Siemens Gamesa have announced the sale of their stakes in Windar Renovables, a leading manufacturer of wind towers and substructures for the offshore wind industry. The company will be acquired by Bridgepoint, a leading private equity firm. This strategic initiative is expected to drive Windar’s growth and expansion, propelling it to new heights in the global marketplace.
Bridgepoint: the ideal partner to accelerate Windar’s expansion
The transaction involves Grupo Daniel Alonso, the main shareholder of Windar with a 68% stake, and Siemens Gamesa, which holds the remaining 32%. As part of the agreement, Orlando Alonso, Windar’s current president and CEO, will continue to lead the company and will retain an indirect minority stake. This continuity of leadership ensures the stability and continuity of the company’s operations.
For Siemens Gamesa, the sale of its stake in Windar is consistent with its core business strategy. Jochen Eickholt, CEO of Siemens Gamesa, emphasized that this decision allows the company to focus on its core areas of expertise: wind turbine design, manufacturing (including blades), installation and maintenance. This strategic divestment will allow Siemens Gamesa to focus its resources and efforts on advancing its core business.
Bridgepoint’s acquisition of Windar is intended to be a catalyst for growth and global presence for the company. Bridgepoint, renowned for its expertise in business support and development, brings valuable resources and in-depth industry knowledge to the table. Through this partnership, Windar will be able to leverage Bridgepoint’s extensive network and financial support to accelerate its expansion plans and take advantage of emerging opportunities in the offshore wind market.
The transaction is expected to close before the end of the year, subject to customary regulatory approvals. This transition marks an important milestone for Windar and underscores its strong position in the wind energy industry.
Siemens Gamesa and Windar: An alliance for renewable energy
Founded in 2007 and headquartered in Avilés (Asturias), Windar Renovables has experienced remarkable growth in its 16-year history. With ten production plants on five continents, the company has established itself as a world leader in the manufacture of wind turbine towers. Windar stands out as the only company in the world with expertise in manufacturing all types of substructures used in the offshore wind industry. Its project portfolio includes prestigious offshore wind farms in Europe and the United States, reinforcing its reputation for excellence and innovation.
Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy, a pioneer and leader in the wind industry for more than four decades, remains dedicated to unleashing the power of the wind. With a team of more than 29,000 professionals, the company plays a key role in the global energy revolution. Siemens Gamesa’s comprehensive wind solutions, covering onshore, offshore and services, provide customers with access to clean, affordable and sustainable energy. With an impressive 130 GW of installation capacity, the company continues to light up communities around the world.
As Windar begins a new chapter with Bridgepoint’s support, the industry looks forward to future developments. The partnership between Windar, Grupo Daniel Alonso, Siemens Gamesa and Bridgepoint is set to shape the future of renewable energy, reinforcing the transition to a more sustainable and environmentally friendly world.